Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Quilt A-Long Planning

A few weeks ago I serendipitiously found a Jen Kingwell Quilt Along being organized by LiningUpMyStitches.  Read about it here and here. I asked to play along. My name has been entered in the box on the right hand side of her blog under the JenKingwellQuiltAlong badge so now I really have to be accountable for my actions. Also #JenKingwellQAL has been added to Instagram. There is some pattern prep going on for the projects.  Start date will be Sept 5.  No big rules, just fun stitching and inspiration.  You do have to start a new Jen Kingwell quilt pattern.  

As you can tell I am in a Jen Kingwell state of mind at the moment. My last post was a progress report of my GTSB and I have shown some of my current blocks on #Takemetheretotes. I am currently making Green Tea and Sweet Beans. It is so much fun. It is a variety of all types of blocks with just enough hand piecing, hand applique and machine piecing to keep my interest.  I do get bored and that's bad because I will start another project and I do not need another project.  But I start them anyway....

I bought the Jen Kingwell Quilt Lovely book this month and I also treated myself to her Gardenvale Layer Cake.  So I HAVE to pick a pattern from the book for this quilt along. It would not make sense to splurge on more patterns at the moment. 

 Ahhh but which one! ???


For starters, I prepped five Daisy Do's.  Who wouldn't love a quilt that looks like that.  Isn't that the cutest little flower pattern on the book cover!


Here are four of the five. Three hand pieced, the navy and red one is machine pieced.  Got one more to do. Nah, can't do it. They are darling of course even without their center circle. But I do not have the patience to work on those daisies. I drew out the templates.  I added the 1/4 inch seam allowance.  They aren't coming out accurate.  They are figidty.  I starched the fabric with Mary Ellen's. I am discovering that I don't want to take the time to develop the EPP or hand piecing or template piecing technique right now.  And that is okay. I stitch for happiness and that was not making me happy.  Movin' on.  They will be added somewhere on Green Tea and Sweet Beans.  


Next up is Spring Fever.  Jen Kingwell said this pattern was developed as a follow up to Green Tea and Sweet Beans.  Her GTSB fans requested another pattern.  The style is very similar and I do love to make the pots of flowers.  I can make a circle or an oval template and nothing needs to match up while stitching.  Win! Win!  I haven't tried the butterfly yet.  My plan is to machine piece the wings. 


I have prepped four.  At the end of this post,  I have to tell you about the fabrics I am using or will be using if I decide this is the project I will make for the Quilt A-Long.  For now I am showing you what I have put together so far.  Not all of the parts are sewn down.  You will see lots of pinning and fabric auditions. (I zapped one of the four photos, so there are only three flower pots to show you.)


All fabrics above are from the "box of scraps."

This maroon stripe is the back of one of my husband's old shirts, Yes, I have been saving those too.  The flowers are a mix of old and new scraps. 



All from the BOS (box of scraps) except the stems.
  And finally, I will eventually make the Bonnie Lass from the Gardenvale layer cake.  There should be plenty left over to make another quilt.  I might consider making this one along with Spring Fever. 

So if you are still with me, I am going to tell you that I am tired of my fabrics at the moment.  I have made quite a few scrap quilts over the past year and they all have the same fabrics in some form or fashion. I just didn't want to make my Jen Kingwell patterns in my same fabrics.  I don't want to buy any more fabric.  I am pretty much making myself stay away from fabric stores.  

Back in the late 80's or early 90's, a dear elderly quilting saint at my church knew that I too was a young enthusiastic quilter and she gifted me two boxes of scrap fabrics.  I have had them stashed on a shelf just waiting for the day.  On the weekend, I pulled those boxes off the shelf and took them outside to see what treasures I might have.  I found some gems.  There are cottons, poly cotton blends, and 100% poly. Ms. JenK says she uses all kinds of fabrics in her quilts and I thought "So can I."  I washed and ironed some of those nifty fabrics and this is what I am using for Spring Fever. 

Lots of woven gingham checks and plaids.  Lots of brown and peach.  I have an "anything goes attitude" (almost).  I am certainly having fun going through the scraps and finding the odd ball pieces. It feels liberating to be breaking the 100% cotton rules.  It is devious to have teal stems and brown check flowers. Thank you Miss Zella.  I think those scraps will be just the right thing for my Spring Fever.



I know. It looks like a mess.  But what a fun mess!

Hope you find some time to stitch today. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment