Friday, April 3, 2015

Binge Binding Blitz!

Six total quilts bound and finished!  I finished the quilting on the two quilts I talked about in my last post plus a few more. Six total.  So that means it's binding time! 

Knowing I would be heading out of town for the last two weeks in March,  I needed some projects to work on when I wasn't playing with my grandson.  I quickly sewed the binding on the six quilted pieces. I took along thread and gadgets I knew I would need to get the job done.

The following is the result of having extra time to relax and sit and hand sew bindings.

First is the Nine Patch Delight I wrote about here and here.   



This quilt is KING sized....it is folded in half over the four foot fence.  I machine quilted most of it until it got so big in the throat of my mid-arm machine.  I hand quilted the rest and I really enjoyed doing that.  I used the big stitch method that I have seen by other bloggers.  I used some beige crotchet cotton thread I had on hand.  I so enjoyed stitching around all of those nine patch blocks in the borders.  

  Had to have a photo with Texas Bluebonnets.  We love our Texas state flower. 

The backing is a mauve plum color and goes well with the theme of the nine patches. With the left overs cut from the edges, I trimmed down the lengths and was able to use all the fabric I purchased to back and bind the quilt.  



I will be using this quilt on my bed.  I have grown to like this quilt, especially the variety of fabrics used in all of those six inch nine patch blocks.

Next up is the hexagon quilt I wrote about.  This quilt is high up there on my list of all time favorite quilts that I have ever made.   



.  I love the fabrics and colors on this one. Dots, stripes, lime green and splash of red, my favorites!

And I hand sewed the binding on these four scrappy projects too.  Four totally scrappy quilts.



This top, of course, is very scrappy, These scraps represent many years of saving scraps.  The batting is pieced scraps and I even used as many bobbins with bits of thread left from other quilts. I like how it turned out.
  

This is a collection of chicken prints set against red and light beige four patches.  Very cute quilt.



I used various scrappy 2 1/2 inch squares with solid white Kona cotton squares to make this crib sized quilt.


This little mini used some 1-1/2 inch squares to form a single Irish Chain pattern. 



I wanted to get this post up so I would be able to link to JulieKQuilts for her March Binding Blitz link up. Check out Julie's blog and other quilters who finished quilts in March.

It was great incentive to finish some tops that have been waiting and waiting to be finished.  

Thanks for stopping by!  Happy Spring sewing!

6 comments:

  1. Wowzer... such delicious eye candy :)
    Amazing job on finishing all these bindings! That 9 patch quilt is enormous!
    So cool that you used hand and machine quilting to get it done.
    Congrats on all your wonderful quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is enormous for sure. But it fits really well with lots of drop down on the side for a king sized bed.

      Delete
  2. Oh...what a lot of fun quilts. Those first two are awesome and the last ones are an impressive use of scraps. Congrats on so many finishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes I used many scraps on these quilts but I have so many more...always another quilt to make. Yay!

      Delete
  3. Your quilts are beautiful, but I especially love the Hexagon quilt. Wow... what wonderful fabrics you chose. I find it interesting that we tend to "come full circle" in our fabric choices and preferences. I'm also starting to love some of my older fabrics that last year I deemed "un-usable".

    I wanted to respond to your lovely comment on my blog post today, but you are a "no-reply" blogger so I was unable to. Thank you so much for taking the time to write something so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilts and what a nice blog! love the hexagon

    ReplyDelete