Monday, November 3, 2014

Quilt Festival 2014


I was there too!  This past Thursday at The Houston International Quilt Festival, I was there!  For more than 20 years I have been going to the Quilt Show in Houston.   It is a really big deal for the City of Houston. I would say probably 70% of the public has no idea that such a huge event is held in our city for two weeks every year. Quilting is big business.  It's not your grandma's quilt any more.  Major fabric companies, vendors and just regular quilty people come to visit from all over the world.  I just love it.  Polly who blogs from Aunt Polly's Porch, said "It is exhilarating to be surrounded by others who love and understand your "bliss"!! I agree.
      

It was crowded on that first day open to the public. There is a quilt display side and a vendor side to the convention hall.  I have to admit, I am a vendor person.  I have to see the latest and newest fabrics and gadgets.  I am a consumer.  I plunk down some plastic every time I go.  My car is out on the corner so I can drive by at the end of the day and load up that roll of batting or that new Juki 2010. What? You read  that right.  I usually go two days, one for the vendors and one for the quilts displayed.  I only made one day this year.    I wish there is a video of the quilts. I would love to see it.

Moving on....while strolling the aisles, 


Everyone is on the lookout for the celebrities.  Here is Edyta of Laundry Basket Quilts hard at work signing her new book. .



Here is the wonderful and oh so charming, Jenny, from the Missouri Star Quilt Company.  Every day I check their daily deals.  Her tutorials have made me enjoy the lighter side of quilt making....just stitching up a quilt for the fun of it. 
   
 And here is the grand Eleanor Burns....I have seen her working hard at every show I can remember.  I am sewing on an autographed by Eleanor Burns Elna sewing machine that I purchased at a quilt show long long ago.   

 What wonderful and savvy business ladies!  


I was hoping I would see the ADORNit booth.  Yep, they are back.  I LOVE their fabrics. They started out with scrapbook accessories and joined the fabric world.  I have this beautiful work in progress that I am making from their line.  

They haven't gotten nearly enough notice, but I know they are headed for the top of the game. Their fabrics are so cute. I picked up some more for a cowboy quilt and some of their winter snowmen and little fox prints.




  Moda was passing out free Sweet Treats.  Thank you, Moda 

 I picked up this packet of 12 fat quarters of blues and beige from Hearts to Holly . They blend well with the cowboy colors. I really like how they package and market their product. 

I also picked up one of bonnieandcamille's Miss Kate.... 











because I have one of them too! Hey baby Kate!


I got one of these Curve Master pressure feet for piecing curves.  I haven't quite mastered it yet.  


T


Yep, I got me a Juki.  I went to the quilt show this year to buy a new machine.  I have done some research on sewing machines since my Viking is ready for retirement.  So far I am loving it.  


Some Low Volume fabrics.  I am always looking for them.  I got some cuties.

I had a wonderful day! 

Thank you Karey Bresenham for your Quilt Festival vision 40 years ago.  I have one of your shopping bags from your store, Great Expectations, hanging on the wall in my sewing room.  Maybe a collectors item??



 I have enjoyed every minute at every festival I have attended.  One of my bucket list items is to stay at a downtown hotel, take classes during the week of Quilt Market and just soak it all in.  I am always in such a rush to see it all and head for home before the evening traffic. .  

Thank you for stopping by!     

No comments:

Post a Comment